Whether you operate a fleet of lorries or a couple of vans, you’ll need to know how to care for your vehicle livery. We’ll talk you through the process, what you should be doing, and what to avoid.
Advertising is expensive, however, it is also important and absolutely necessary and advertising through vehicle branding is now more popular than ever. But once your beautiful vehicle wrap has been professionally installed, do you know how to care for it? If you don’t keep your vehicle livery clean and well maintained, you’ll quickly lose the cool aesthetic and promotional reach that you invested in, because no one will be able to define your message.
Keep your vehicle livery clean with some old-fashioned elbow grease.
Most vinyl wraps will be able to stand up to an automated car wash, or even a pressure washer if handled correctly, but the best way to care for your vehicle livery is good old-fashioned hand washing. That way, you’ll control the detergent you use, which should be mild and free from abrasives.
- Wash whenever the car appears dirty – contaminants allowed to remain on the graphic may be more difficult to remove during cleaning at a later date.
- Rinse off as much dirt and grit as possible with a spray of water.
- Use a wet, non-abrasive detergent such and a soft, clean cloth or sponge.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
- To reduce water spotting, immediately use a silicone squeegee to remove water and finish with a clean microfibre cloth.
- We do not recommend using wax or other similar coatings on vehicle graphics.
Fleet Car Graphics and Automated Car Washes.
- Fleet Car Graphics may be run through car washes.
- Touch less car washes are the best for graphic care.
- Use of brush car washes (depending upon the frequency and quality of brush) may cause dulling/scratching/lifting edge of the graphics.
Fleet Livery and Pressure Washing
Although hand washing of fleet livery is the preferred cleaning method, pressure washing may be used under these conditions.
- Ensure the water pressure is kept below 2000 psi (14 MPa).
- Keep water temperature below 180 °F (80 °C).
- Use a spray nozzle with a 40 degree wide angle spray pattern.
- Keep the nozzle at least 1 foot (300 mm) away from and perpendicular (at 90 degrees) to the graphic.
- Do not hold the nozzle of a pressure washer at an angle to a graphic as it may lift the edges of the film.
Dealing with difficult contaminants on Vinyl Wraps
Bird droppings and bug splats can ruin the look of your vinyl wrap and even obscure the message you’re trying to convey.
- Soften difficult contaminants such as bug splatter, bird droppings, tree sap and similar contaminants by Soak them for several minutes with very hot, soapy water.
- Rinse thoroughly and dry.
- Never scrub roughly or use any abrasives that can scratch and tear the vinyl.
Spot cleaning difficult contaminants.
- Do not use rough scrubbing or abrasive tools, which will scratch the film.
- Wash and rinse off all residue immediately.
- Wipe off immediately to avoid degrading the vinyl and adhesive.
- Wash, rinse and dry as soon as possible.
Keep your fleet graphics looking pristine.
Apart from regular cleaning, if you want to keep your fleet vehicle graphics looking new and pristine then follow these simple rules.
- Never use any abrasive polishes or cutting compounds, as these will dull the finish of your car wrap.
- Do not use any polishing or wax products on matte or textured films.
- Use if there is wax or wax residue on the surface, remove with an all-purpose cleaner.
Store Indoors or Under Cover Whenever Possible.
Vinyl graphics (just like paint) are degraded by prolonged exposure to sun and atmospheric pollutants, particularly on the horizontal surfaces such as hood, trunk lid and roof.
- Whenever possible, store undercover or at least in a shaded area during the day.
- At night protect the vehicle from dew or rain, which may contain acidic pollutants (a common problem in many large metropolitan areas).
- When a garage is not available, consider using a cloth cover at night.
Vehicle branding using the best materials for the job!
In order to maximise our client’s advertising investmentGRS Fleet Graphics use only the highest grade materials to produce our outstanding Vehicle Branding Livery. Unlike lower grade materials that have a shorter life and are more prone to fail, the integrity and clarity of the materials we use for our vehicle livery is guaranteed for up to 5 years. If you would like to talk to a member of our team about your vehicle branding requirements, or would like further advice on cleaning products for your fleet, please don’t hesitate to call 023 8084 1415